“I approach every case as though it is going to trial"
Dan'L has tried over 50 jury trials in counties all across the state and has argued in every Division of the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court.
As a defense attorney Dan'L practiced for approximately 25 years defending employers and corporations from all variety of employment and general litigation. He has obtained total defense verdicts in all manner of complex cases with damage demands well in excess of $5 million.
As a plaintiff's attorney, Dan'L has obtained incredible recoveries for his clients including these more recent results: a $12 million settlement in an insurance bad faith claim, $1.8 million settlement for a client injured when a deck failed, a $800,000 settlement for a client who received an electric shock while doing a remodel, a $1 million settlement for a victim of a house fire, a $800,000 settlement for a laborer with a dog attack hand injury, and too many other six-figure results to list.
Recently Dan'L created new law in the area of attorney malpractice while representing a client whose prior attorney violated the statute of limitations. Arguing before the State Supreme Court, the Court ruled in Dan's client's favor and adopted the standard of law Dan'L argued regarding the availability of general damages (pain and suffering) for victims of attorney malpractice.
Dan has tried many, long multi-week trials on a variety of complex matters ranging from products liability, to employment discrimination, to insurance bad faith. Dan represents both defendants and plaintiffs in his practice and has prevailed for both defendants and plaintiffs in a variety of multi-million dollar disputes.
- Seattle University, J.D., cum laude, 1994
- University of Washington, B.A., Political Science, 1990
- Washington State Bar Association, 1994
- US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2011
- US District Court, Washington Western District, 1996
- US District Court, Eastern Washington District, 2004
- Treasurer, Washington State Bar Association, 2018-2019
- Governor, District 9, Washington State Bar Association, 2017-2019
- Chairperson, WSBA Civil Rules Task Drafting Task Force 2019-2020
- Chairperson, WSBA New Governor Task Force, 2018
- Member, WSBA Mandatory Malpractice Work Group
- Member, WSBA Member Engagement Work Group
Memberships (Current and Past)
- Washington State Bar Association (WSBA)
- Federalist Society
- LBAW (Latino/a Bar Association of Washington)
- Washington Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Washington Defense Trial Lawyers (WDTL)
- Inns of Court
I knew I wanted to be an attorney since I was 14. Although perhaps an “unpopular” activity, I debated in high school and college. I greatly enjoyed the intellectual process of debate; being a trial attorney seemed like a good fit. It is.
Outside The Office
Dan's favorite activities are anything involving his seven year-old son Mason who, yes, was named after Perry Mason. Dan'L has four children, two boys and two girls, and they all enjoy boating, skiing, and traveling. When not working or spending family time, Dan enjoys playing guitar and piano, and tinkering with his 1975 BMW 2002.
- Western Academy of Beaux Arts, President of non-profit board
- Bellevue West Little League, Board member and coach
- Boys and Girls Club, coach